Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

No Such Thing as Too Many Cooks: Bake Sale Snapshots

Pin It Now!

Yours truly deep in some apparently serious conversation about brownies, or whoopie pies, or maybe explaining about Tomato Spice cupcakes. Hard to say. Pic taken by Irvin at Eat the Love, (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackhonky/ / CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

Yesterday, I was out all day selling delicious, delicious goodies to raise money for Share Our Strength, goods all made my some tremendously talented food bloggers who can clearly both cook it as well as write about it (I was trying to make some metaphor here about putting the mixing bowl where their blog was, but it didn't quite work out. Imagine it successfully written here.)


I was so involved in writing up receipts and harassing engaging with customers that I sort of forgot to take any pictures. I'm new at this, ok?

Fortunately, others were much more on the ball, so you can see the amazing desserts and sweet treats that you missed out on. Speaking of missing out (or the opposite) I totally scored a new muffin tin at the bake sale! It's made by Chicago Metallic and I am soooooooo excited to use it. I love the weight of the pan--I can tell it will last me many muffins. Anyone have a suggestion of a recipe with which to christen my tin?




(My brownies! I made a happy label... and then was "hired" to make many other labels. I put 'Label Girl' on my nametag.)

Why did I not buy things? Soooo many delicious things. For example:


A luscious chocolate cake with coffee buttercream and bittersweet chocolate ganache. How amazing does that sound? And yes, that is the Teacher Katie handwriting once again! Little did I know that it was going to be essential that I stuck my short Crayola markers in my bag before I left the house. Substitute teacher flexibility for the win! This cake went in a flash. Jealous.


Penni Wisner brought some delicious breads. I agree with Shauna of Piece of Cake; I would like to be as down-to-earth and awesome as Penni when I grow up.

Why did I not buy of these??? I need to conquer my fear of making bread yesterday. Because I have had very few breads that I didn't like eating, so making them is a logical next step.

Other people include the awesomely talented Lisa (I want to try those cookies sometime!) Shauna (whose daughter has the best 'you are too silly for words, Katie' face), Annelies (hope your foot is feeling better!) and so many others.

All told, we raised $1650 dollars to help end childhood hunger. Amazing! It was so nice to spend a great day talking food with a group of new friends. Can't wait for more Bay Area Bloggers adventures! I have this hilarious mental image of all of us playing Apples to Apples together. That needs to happen... with some desserts on the side ;o)

A big hand for Anita (Pastrygirl) and Mike; Anita for organizing all of us into some kind of cohesive force, and Mike for being such a help in keeping a handle on all the money. So nice to meet both of you!

I was so crushed for time at the end of the week that I didn't get to bake some of the cool things I'd been thinking about for the sale. If tomorrow is a slow day, I feel that some delicious things will be happening in my kitchen...


(Note: All photos are either taken by Lisa or Irvin, not me! If I accidentally borrowed someone else's photo, please let me know and I will give you credit.)

1 comment:

  1. Katie-
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your substitute teacher flexibility, and labeling my cake.
    You are the best. I am sorry I missed the guy who bought the chocolate coffee cake. I thought for sure I would have time to grab a cup of joe with my mom and get back before my cake dissapeared, too. But given that a group of bloggers were manning the bake sale, I have plenty of photos!

    ReplyDelete